12/9/10 NOTE: Our capital campaign is now officially over and our renovation-expansion project is in full swing. However, PHS borrowed over $400,000 from the Rural Development program to begin this project so we will continue to seek donations and support to pay off this loan and as well as for our day-to-day operations.
Launched in December of 2007, the Labor of Love Capital Campaign seeks to raise $1,000,000 for a complete renovation and expansion of the 50-year old animal shelter facility operated by the Potsdam Humane Society (PHS).
The campaign is divided into three Phases. Phase 1 concluded on January 31, 2009, when the first $250,000 was secured through community-based fundraising activities and leadership gifts. Phase 2 concluded December, 2009 and raised more than $550,000, of which $400,000 is a USDA long-term, low-interest loan. Phase 3 seeks to raise the final $200,000 needed to break ground for the building project.
To meet its target, PHS has a number of giving opportunities and challenges to encourage and recognize prior, new and additional community support:
- Over 30 features of the new building are being offered as naming opportunities for those giving $750 or more to PHS and the campaign.
- Donors of $200 and $400 can permanently recognize a beloved pet or person on a new “Leaves of Love” display area for individual commemorative gifts.
- Donations of any amount can be made to a new LEAF (Landscaping, Equipment and Furnishings Fund); those contributing $500 to $1,500 can target their support to areas of particular interest, such as outdoor items, furniture, or larger animal-related or office items.
- Donations of any amount can be designated to one of three community challenges – a $100,000 Medical Challenge to fund a new surgical room, a $20,000 Business Challenge to create a multi-purpose training/conference room, and a $15,000 Education Challenge for a new animal nursery.
- A total of ten, $5,000 commemorative challenges are available to those who wish to raise funds, as a group, in honor of loved ones, community leaders and others who share the values of PHS. These donations will support two new catteries and are ideal for members of extended families, organizations or other groups that share a common interest.
Animal lovers and community-minded folks come from all walks of life, so PHS wants to offer a wide variety of choices to those supporting us. There’s something for everyone. This includes those who provided leadership support for the project in Phase 1.
Those who have already given can choose to be recognized based upon their current level of support, or to direct their donations to one of the challenge giving opportunities. They can also credit Phase 1 contributions toward a larger gift in order to reach a higher naming opportunity level.
To date, the Labor of Love Campaign has been supported by over 700 contributors, including:
- 100% of the Potsdam Humane Society Board of Directors
- The Sweetgrass Foundation
- Sheehan Construction
- Multiple school groups from local elementary, middle and high schools, as well as all four area colleges and universities
- Dozens of businesses and groups that have held fundraising events for the project
- Hundreds of private individuals
- NOTE: Please see our 2009 Donors Report for a complete listing of 2009 donors
Information on giving via Pay Pal or credit card can be found on our website [here].