What is Feline-ality™?
Knowing a bit about a cat before bringing it home can really help the romance last. How does the ASPCA know this? The Meet Your Match™ Feline-ality™ Adoption Program is a research-based assessment of a cat’s behavior and interests that matches adopter preferences with an animal’s behavior making it possible for you to know a little about a cat's behavior before deciding to make her a part of your family. Finding the perfect cat is a serious undertaking. That’s why the ASPCA developed the MYM program—to help match the colors of your personality to your new friend’s feline-ality.
How Does Feline-ality™ work?
Let’s say you are looking to find the cat of your dreams. When you go to a shelter using the Feline-ality assessment, you’ll be asked to fill out a one-page Cat Adopter Survey—19 questions about your lifestyle and how you envision your cat fitting in to this lifestyle. Sound kinda fun? It is—think magazine quiz, not college application. Your results will tell the shelter what your “color” is—green, orange or purple.
In a nutshell:
- Purple adopters are perfect for kitties who need time and encouragement to adjust to their new surroundings.
- Orange adopters are a good fit with the quintessential companion kitty.
- Green adopters are most successful with cats who quickly adapt to new situations.
The Feline-ality™ Assessment
A cat’s feline-ality is determined by her:
- enjoyment of being petted and held
- playfulness, “talkativeness” and activity level
- responses to new people and things
Feline-ality™ AssessmentView movie of Feline-ality™ Assessment
- Purple cats seek affection, are pretty quiet and tend to stay out of trouble. Our three purple categories are Private Investigator, Secret Admirer and Love Bug.
- Orange cats put the good in “good company.” They’re further classified as the Executive, the Sidekick and the Personal Assistant.
- Green cats are savvy, unflappable and adventurous. They’re further broken down into three categories—the MVP, the Party Animal and the Leader of the Band.
Click on banner below for more info on ASPCA's Meet Your Match program: